Be prepared for a variety of situations--even if you're separated
Click here to view, download or print a visual guide with graphics.
- Note where the closest emergency exit is.
- Be sure you know another way out in case your first choice is blocked.
- Take cover against a desk or table if things are falling.
- Move away from file cabinets, bookshelves or other things that might fall.
- Face away from windows and glass.
- Move away from exterior walls.
- Determine if you should stay put, "shelter-in-place" or get away.
- Listen for and follow instructions .
- Take your emergency supply kit, unless there is reason to believe it has been contaminated.
- Do not use elevators .
- Stay to the right while going down stairwells to allow emergency workers to come up .